Lawrence School, Lovedale


The Lawrence School
, Lovedale, (Tamil Nadu, India) was founded on September 6th, 1858, and is named after Maj Gen Sir Henry Lawrence, who first projected the idea of founding a school in the Nilgiris for children of serving soldiers and ex-soldiers of the British Army in India so that they could have the benefit of a sound education in a bracing and healthy climate. The school fulfilled the objects of its founder until May 1949, when it was taken over by the Ministry of Education, Government of India, to be run as a public school, open to all, with 40 percent places reserved for the children of defence personnel. The administration of the school is now vested in an autonomous body, the Board of Governors appointed by the Government of India.